The Willing Cook-A-Long new recipe challenge featured a Whole Foods recipe this week, Spicy Spaghetti Squash with Black Beans. This recipe came with a mixed bag of results. My oldest daughter and I liked it, the other three didn’t like it so much. First, let me say that we’ve had other spaghetti squash recipes that we absolutely love, so it wasn’t that. My husband commented that it didn’t have any zing. I agreed with him, in the beginning, but then I added my own spices to it to knock it up a notch. I thought the fresh cilantro made a huge impact on the taste and probably could have used even more.
- Used diced mushrooms instead of corn. I loved the addition of mushrooms.
- My kids were begging for Trader Joe’s Uncured Bacon Ends & Pieces, so I made the recipe no longer vegetarian.
- I used 2 Tbsp of bacon grease as a substitute for the recommended.
- I added 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1 Tbsp sugar, and 2 Tbsp rice vinegar. These additions helped the flavor tremendously.
In conclusion, I would certainly make this dish again for myself, but I probably won’t since it came with a few turned up noses.
What new recipe did you try this week? Link up to your blog or leave a comment below. I would love for more of you to share a dish you had this week (even if it’s not new)!
If you follow me on Pinterest, you have a pool to see which recipe I may try next. I have found so many great recipes, among other things, to add to a growing collection. I’m in the mood for comfort food, so the new recipe that we’ll be trying in Our Allergy Home sometime over the next week is Glazed Mini Meatloaves. My family loves meatloaf (although I haven’t made it for a long time), so I don’t think it will be too hard to satisfy them with this week’s new recipe challenge.
What about you? What new recipe will you try this week?
How the Willing Cook-A-Long works:
- I will come back next week with my review of the willing cook-a-long new recipe and the changes I made for my food allergy home.
- You can make the same recipe as I (with or without changes), or…
- You can make your own new dish and tell us about it.
Regardless of what you choose to do, come back here next Friday and link up to your post (if you have a blog) or just tell us what you made in the comments. Can’t wait to hear of all your new dishes next week!
Happy Willingly Cooking-A-Long!