Beans & Rice
Use cooked dried beans or canned beans. Brown rice works just as well as white rice and is better for you.
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1 pounds sausage
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoons garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 2-4 cups black beans
- 1 cups barbeque sauce
1. Cook rice according to package directions (1 1/2 cups is precooked amount).
2. Cook sausage in large stock pot, breaking up any big pieces as it cooks. Remove sausage to a paper towel lined plate and drain any grease.
3. Add a touch of oil back to the pot. Dice bell pepper and onion; add to oil with garlic and cook until translucent. Season with salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon.
4. Put sausage back into the pot. Add in cooked beans and rice until you get the amounts you want. Mix everything together.
5. Pour in barbecue sauce (homemade is best) and mix well. (Optional add-ins according to taste: hot sauce, flavored rice vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, more spices)
6. Serve in bowl and top with cheese & sour cream if allowed. You may want to serve hot sauce on the side for those who like things a little spicier.