Dairy-free, Wheat-free*, Egg-free, Peanut/Nut-free, Soy-free, Corn-free
These are very easily converted into an allergy-friendly dessert by substituting oat flour and non-dairy margarine or oil. (See allergy changes below instructions.)
- 3 cups dates, chopped
- 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cups brown sugar
- 1 cups butter
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups Old-Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1. Make Date Filling: 3 cups cut-up pitted dates (1 lb.), 1/4 cup white sugar, 1 1/2 cups water
Cook all ingredients in saucepan over low heat about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened; cool 5 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 13x9 pan.
3. Mix brown sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients until crumbly. Press half of crumb mixture evenly in bottom of pan. Spread with filling. Top with remaining crumb mixture; press lightly.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until light brown. Cool 5 minutes. Cut into bars while warm and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
*Substitute 1 3/4 cups oat flour* (grind old-fashioned oats) for wheat flour (Note: The amount of oats needed for oat flour is not included in the ingredient list. The oats listed are for whole oats that are also included in the dessert.)
*Substitute non-dairy margarine or 3/4 cup canola oil for the butter.
*non-certified gluten-free oats may contain traces of wheat