Tomato & Basil Crostini or Bruschetta is not a new recipe to most people. And perhaps my recipe below has nothing new in it. But whether it does or not, takes nothing away from its over-the-top deliciousness. I fixed it up quickly for some friends the other night in hopes that it would turn out edible. Well, in fact, I think it was my favorite dish of the night. Absolutely amazing!
My easy recipe here is not naturally gluten-free, but you can make the gluten-free Rustic French Bread recipe for the perfect bread substitute! It does not go without saying that I think the fact that I was able to go out my back door to grab my fresh tomatoes and basil only makes the dish that much better. Don’t let that stop you from making it, though. Pick up your tomatoes and basil wherever it is available to you. Enjoy this favorite dish of summer!
Tomato & Basil Crostini
This dish works great as an appetizer or even as your bread side dish to accompany your main course.
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 multi-grain baguette
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/4 cups basil leaves (fresh), chopped
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
1. Dice tomatoes & place in bowl. Add balsamic vinegar and minced garlic; toss and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Slice baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices and lay flat on a cookie sheet. Brush on olive oil. Bake in a 375 degree for 8-10 minutes, or until golden & crisp.
3. Remove tomatoes from the refrigerate and stir in coarsely chopped basil (I cut mine with kitchen scissors.), kosher salt, & black pepper.
4. Distribute the tomatoes evenly across the baguettes and spoon a little bit of the leftover balsamic vinegar over top of each.
Serve and enjoy this fresh taste of summer!
Shared at Better Mom Mondays, Homestead Barn Hop, Fat Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Hearth & Soul Blog Hop, Titus 2sdays, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesdays, Whole Foods Wednesday, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways, Encourage One Another, Full Plate Thursday, Gluten-Free Friday, and Make Your Own Monday.