Since many people will be enjoying the long Memorial Day weekend by grilling out or taking picnics, I want to lay out a few precautions for food allergy sufferers.
(This list is probably obvious for you veteran food allergy people, but there are some new readers who are just learning the ropes.)
- Always be prepared for what food will be provided. Pack your own, if in doubt.
- If you are providing food, make it both allergy-friendly and delicious for non-allergy people. You can find a number of recipes here. The salsa is always a crowd-pleaser.
- Watch the grill. Is there the possibility of cross-contamination from cheese on burgers?
- Check the ingredients on any prepackaged/marinated hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, etc.
- Check the ingredients on buns — some contain milk.
- Watch the use of utensils in the various dishes — that one spoon isn’t used in the potato salad (egg allergy) than used in the baked beans (generally, allergy-friendly).
- Don’t assume things will be fine. Be on top of your game to avoid any party-downers.
- Have fun!! Try not to be overly paranoid…just be alert and wise.
Are there any precautions that I have missed here? Please add in the comments.
Have a blessed Memorial Day weekend remembering those who have gone before or paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom!
Remember, there will not be a new post on Monday. See you back on Tuesday with “Pantry Staples.”