The Willing Cook welcomes Angie @ConsciousEatery.com – a blog dedicated to helping people learn how to bake and cook allergy-free. Feel free to subscribe to her feed. Thank you, Angie, for joining us today and sharing one of, may I dare say, everyone’s favorite fall treat, Pumpkin Bread. It looks simply amazing!
It may be 95 degrees here in Albuquerque, but it is the first week in September, and I at least desire that my kitchen smells like fall. There’s no better way than baking some pumpkin bread! This delicious bread is perfect for spreading the delightful fall aromas. Because my daughter is allergic to dairy, eggs, nuts, and wheat, traditional pumpkin bread is not an option. Instead, I opted for an allergy-free recipe. It’s from Cybele Pascal’s ‘The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook.’ I’ve made several recipes from her book, including ‘Allergy-free Scones‘ and ‘Allergy-free Fudge Brownies,’ and each one has been a smashing hit.
This recipe really is quite easy. First, I combined all of the wet ingredients along with the brown sugar and mixed well. The recipe in the book does not call for brown sugar, but I feel like it’s a crucial ingredient in pumpkin bread, so I added it and adjusted the amount of agave nectar.
I then whisked all of the remaining dry ingredients together and stirred them into the wet mixture. The batter just about filled up the prepared pan:
This recipe bakes at two temperatures: 30 minutes at 350 degrees, and then after turning the pan, it bakes for an additional 30 minutes at 325 degrees. It’s a bit of a time commitment, but it’s so worth it! 60 minutes of baking fills the kitchen with some fabulous aromas! The finished bread is delicious topped with some vegan margarine, or my new discovery – Earth Balance Coconut Spread. Mmmmm – now that’s what fall tastes like!
1/2 c canola oil
1/2 c light agave nectar
1/2 c light brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1 1/2 c (15 oz can) pumpkin puree
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t ground ginger
3 c Gluten-free flour mix (6:2:1, Superfine brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour)
3/4 t xanthan gum
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 c pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan, sprinkle with gluten-free flour.
- In a medium bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients and mix well.
- Add the pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger and mix for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for about 30 seconds. Fold in the pumpkin seeds.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 30 minutes, rotate pan, reduce temperature to 325 degrees, and bake an additional 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.