Egg Ingredient List

As promised, I am continuing on with the list of ingredients that are often unknown but may contain the top allergens.  The following ingredients contain egg protein.  Read labels carefully to avoid a reaction from an egg allergy.
Contains Egg:
  • Albumin (often found in candy)
  • Apovitellin
  • Cholesterol free egg substitute (e.g. Eggbeaters®)
  • Dried egg solids, dried egg
  • Egg, egg white, egg yolk
  • Egg wash
  • Vitellin
  • Whole egg

May Contain Egg:

• Artificial flavoring, natural flavoring
  • Lecithin
  • Nougat
  • Egg may be used as an emulsifier in products

Is there anything that should be added to this list?

This entry was posted in Allergy Cooking, Food Allergies & Health. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Egg Ingredient List

1. Stephanie says:

I believe Emulsifiers can also include egg…

• Cook says:

Yes, thank you for this information. After doing some research, I found that egg is the oldest form of emulsifier (a product that holds traditionally separating ingredients together, like oil and water). While it is no longer the most common form of emulsifier, there is the potential for it to be used as such. I am adding it to the list. Great suggestion!

Michelle

2. Allison says:

marshmallows and rootbeer

• Cook says:

Really? Can you explain a little further? I’ve never seen egg in marshmallows or rootbeer.

• Allison says:

Sure! I believe it has to do with the lethicin. Some lethicin is made from egg as opposed to soy. In rootbeer it is used to make the foam.

Marshmallow Fluff (in the jar) has egg whites as do most home made or gourmet marshmallows (some are made with gelatin instead). Most plain store-bought bagged ones (like Jet Puffed) do not.

I have found that Starbucks rice crispy treats have an egg allergy warning as well as some brands of commercial rootbeer.

• Cook says:

Interesting. I know the marshmallow fluff is off limits, but have never seen any warnings on the typical store marshmallows. Thanks for that clarification. I have never seen eggs in Root Beer, but I don’t ever buy it either. It’s good for our readers to see this information though. Thank you so much for your tips!

• Andi says:

I know this is old, but I wanted to say that there is egg in root beer!! My 1 year old (with severe food allergies) got a hold of someone’s cup that had root beer in it and we almost lost him. It was the worst reaction we have ever seen!

• Cook says:

Oh, Andi, I am so sorry to hear about your son’s horrific scare! It is simply frightening to watch your child experience things that you think you are careful on, only to discover you don’t have as much control as you thought. I’m glad to hear that he came through it!!!

Wow! I don’t think I knew that one about root beer. Can you tell us what brand it was? My son has had root beer before and never had a reaction, so I’m curious to know. Perhaps it’s the difference between a common brand (like coke or pepsi) and a specialty small-batch kind. That is very important information to share, so please fill in if you can. Thanks!!!

3. Pingback: Life with Food Allergies: Cooking Preparation | The Willing Cook